St Hilda's East
St Hilda’s East community centre was founded by Guild in 1889 and has an active link with College and Guild to this day.
At the time of its founding in nineteenth century Britain, the industrial revolution had created terrible urban poverty. The East End of London in particular grew quickly, becoming a place where people lived in overcrowded, badly-built housing and worked up to 18 hours a day manufacturing new commodities, such as matches and cheap clothing.
St Hilda’s East has changed immensely since its founding, but although the pioneering Guild members might not recognise the buildings now and would be surprised by many of the changes to the surrounding area, they would still recognise the aims of St Hilda’s East today: to combat deprivation and social exclusion through providing education and recreational provision along with social care — activities that enable and empower individuals.
Lucy Bingham, Director
St Hilda's East Community Centre
18 Club Row, London, E2 7EY
Tel: 020 7739 8066
Fax: 020 7729 5172